I know it’s hard to believe, but yes it is true and I’m going to tell you my top 5 reason why I stick to my guns of not allowing my son to have a cellphone, and when I will consider giving him one.
1. Cyber-Bullying- With suicides being at an all-time high due to the various forms of bullying, primarily viral cyber-bullying, I chose to eliminate those within my power. I understand I can not protect my son from everything, but the things I can, I will. Social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram in no way benefit, my 13 year-old. I feel he sees his friends on a daily basis and has no need to keep up via such sites.
2. Tracking Method- I feel like this, my son at this age, should not be anywhere where there is not a responsible adult that I am not able to call to get in touch with my son. What this does is ensure me that he is where he is suppose to be and there is an adult around supervising him.
3. Not Responsible- By no means necessary is my child responsible enough to have a phone. He is the type of child who would lose his head if it was not attached to him. That leaves me with having to shell out money to replace a phone who knows how many times dealing with him, and despite phone insurance (which only gives you 2 claims per year), that bill can add up.
4. Distraction- I shadowed my son in school for a day, and it was unbelievable how much of a distraction and trouble maker having a phone was for children in EVERY CLASS. Children were being thrown out of class, reprimanded, disrupting class etc. With my son having ADHD (primarily attention), this is just a pure SET-UP!
5. No Need- To sum it all up, and call me “old-fashioned”, but my children will not have cell-phones until they are driving or going on outings without adult supervision. In my house 15-16 years old is when those things will be allowed or until I feel said child can make responsible decision in the face of adversity and peer pressure. Until then, my children will always be in the care of a responsible adult or home with me period. With that being the case, why does he need a phone when I can just call the adult in charge to get ahold of him, or he can ask the adult to use their phone to get in touch with me. Just let me say, this system has been working without any glitches to date.