My first post was about all-natural labor, and this one will be about my experience with having an epidural for labor and delivery.
While I have experienced a NATURAL LABOR, I will be the first to say, “IT HURT”. There is no sugar coating what a women experiences to bring a new life into this world. With that being said, John Bonica is my hero! Who is he you ask? The man who developed the almighty EPIDURAL!
The epidural is a procedure done where pain medicine is infused into the space around the dura matter of the spine. In a nutshell, you don’t feel any pain below the waist, during labor (when done correctly)
I had 3 epidurals, and all of them were relatively the same.
- First thing to remember is you have to be EXTREMELY STILL during the insertion. If not, you run the risk of getting paralyzed (rarely happens, but it is a risk).
- The nurse will help you get into a sitting position on the side of the bed with you leaning forward, kinda like a fetal position. This helps open the spinal column to get into the spaces.
- The anesthesiologist will clean your back with a cold brown solution called beta dine to reduce the risk of introducing germs for your skin into you spinal cavity.
- Then they will cover you a paper drape with a hole for where he will insert the needle
- Next they will use inject you with a numbing agent a few times to help alleviate the pain of the epidural needle.
- After this they will remind you again to be EXTREMELY STILL, because the needle is on its way in, If you are in the middle of a contraction, tell them to wait!
- The effectiveness and ease of insertion will depend on your size, and the experience of the anesthesiologist.
- Then they will insert the needle, and once it’s into the epidural space, the needle will be removed and a plastic catheter will be left in place. They will then tape the catheter to your back to avoid it coming out.
- Once inserted, you will be placed kinda leaning to one side, A bolus of medicine will be given to get you pain free, then a continuous infusion will run until its time to push
- Then my friends, if everything went as planned, you will be in Heaven!