This past dance season, I was hoodwinked and bamboozled to allowing my daughter to participate on the competition team at her dance studio.
I knew from a very brief dance experience that I wanted no parts in this whole ordeal. So much so, I did not have her audition when the time came. HOWEVER before the season got way, the team teacher sought my child out and convinced she and I to join. My daughter was adamant she wanted to participate and I was adamant I did not.
I had 3 reason I did not want to join, and they are the same reasons I will not be joining unless she has this epiphany that dance if her calling.
- Hair and Make-up…I don’t have time for that…I’m a ONE 2 pony-tail MAX kinda girl, and lip-gloss. I know nothing about faux mow-hawk and smoky eyes!
- The time-it is time consuming!!!! Between practice for the team, practice for the MANDATORY DANCE CLASSES, tumbling class, and extra rehearsals…I KNEW I would never have air to breath.
- THE MONEY!!!! The amount of money I spent on the BRIEF TASTE was alarming and I knew it was only going to get worse…and it did.
You know this hobby is expensive when one mom say “Don’t do the math”. I was like, I do the math..I am math…and the math said, to JUMP SHIP!!!
Let me break it down for you on my expenses for a year to allow my child to dance for approximately 6 minutes 3 times….
From September to June Monthly expenses included:
- $182 for 4 dance classes- 2 team and 2 regular ballet, tap, and jazz (all mandatory)
- $58 for tumbling class…DESPITE THE FACT my child is by far the best tumbler in her age group and has 2 1/2 hours of gymnastics a week.
- $375 on costumes that were cheap as a dollar store costume..one came out the destroyed.
- Holiday Gift Exchange parties $50
- Accessories for costumes $150
- Makeup $35
- Bags and storage for costumes/make-up $150…some moms brought the Dream Duffle min $200 which looks like an oversized suitcase
- Team Fee $150
- Prop Fee $50
- Warm Up Suit $150…As I’m typing this out…I’m getting annoyed….
- Gifts for graduation $20
- Barbecue $30
- Dance Attire/Shoes $150 (always need tights and outgrow a shoe or two)
- Team Banquet $66
- Team End of the Year Event $90
- Competition Fees $294…and our last competition ended in a pure DISASTER of being put out the building during awards (still don’t know who won), having the building condemned, and the rest of the competition cancelled.
I can promise you I left something out. This is what I can remember…I try to push the memory of spending so much on a 6 year old to the lost footage files of my memory. Keep in mind, I have not included gas driving back and forth to these lovely places 3 times a week or food needing to be brought because we were always on the go. I think the art of dance is beautiful, breath taking, and worth EVERY PENNY for someone who has a child who has a passion for the art. My child did and does not. She’s a gymnast at heart, and I only believe the teacher wanted her on the team because she is the only one who could tumble. From here on out, we will be investing our money in her passion…gymnastics. She will continue ballet and tap, and nothing more or nothing less.
What are your experiences with competitive dance?? I like to hear other experiences to know I’m not crazy!!