Heartburn….nothing like it sounds. If I had to describe it, it would be an upset, non-digesting, sour stomach, giving me a false sense of nausea and vomiting, with burps of whatever you ate last on the side. For some, simple home remedies will cure it, but of course not for me. So like my last post, I will give you insight on my experience dealing with heartburn.
Soon after the storm of the first trimester nausea and vomiting was over, Hurricane Irene showed up on my doorstep. At 14 weeks or so, I got to ditch my Phenergan and Zofran, but my Zantac was located in my purse, my dresser, upstairs, downstairs, glove department and the list goes on! Being the forgetful person I am, I had to compensate to prevent misery.
Now the non-medicinal remedies I’ve tried consist of
1. Smaller meals
2. Avoidance of spicy and acidic foods (including garlic and tomato sauces)
3. Not lying down directly after eating (wait about 45 mins)
4. Drink Water
5. Apple Cider Vinegar (just couldn’t get it down)
While these should be tried first, and I’m sure there are a variety of other remedies existing, but this is what I tried and honestly NONE, made a difference.
The medicinal methods tried are
1. Pepcid (this worked my first 3 pregnancies, but did absolutely NOTHING this pregnancy)
2. Zantac (this has helped tremendously until around weeks 28, and I was taking 300mg a day)
3. Prilosec/Omeprazole (this by itself did not work, and the capsules left a horrible after taste that made me nauseated).
So MY cocktail now consists of a Walmart brand Omeprazole 20mg(which I get twice the amount for the same price than from the pharmacy) and 150mg of Zantac once a day. This has been talked over and approved with and by my OB just for the recored. Before figuring this out (within the last 2 weeks) I haven’t been eating or drinking and gained absolutely no weight in the past 3 weeks. Hopefully, I’ll get back on track with eating, drinking and dare I mumble (weight gaining), to ensure my baby is healthy.
Hope someone benefits from this!