It’s one thing staying up all night because you WANT TO, but staying up all night because you HAVE NO CHOICE, just plain SUCK!
Being a former Nurse Family Partnership nurse (basically a mom-baby nurse), I know just about everything there is to know about caring for a newborn up until age 2. I say this because up until recently, you would think I was an amateur! My Zander, was seriously keeping me up ALL NIGHT LONG! I knew exactly what I needed to do to change this, but just didn’t and couldn’t because of sleep deprivation!
I do want to give a big THANKS to dad for his support (and determination of getting sleep), for helping me to implement what I KNEW would get us ALL sleeping through the night. The irony of it all is it only took TWO DAY to do it!
So here are the tips to getting a restful night sleep:
1. First, you and your partner need to establish a bedtime schedule with days assigned. I’ll give you ours for example: Since I”m off during the week, I am in charge of the routine Mon, Tues, Thurs & Fri. Dad has the weekends since I work, and Wed, to even things out (it’s his baby too!).
2. Now you need a routine, that again is mutually agreed upon. My son’s bedtime routine goes like this
- 7:00 pm fed off the spoon
- 7:30pm-8:30pm playtime in the floor with his toys or siblings
- 8:30pm-9:30pm he gets a bath EVERY NIGHT (no exceptions)
- 9:30pm 9:45 he is nursed
- 10:00pm he is put in his bed with the Scout Puppy playing bedtime music for 10 minutes
- 10:10pm SLEEPING BABY